African secondary school students considering the pursuit of tertiary education and making meaningful impact as young leaders are invited to apply for the 2021 Yale Young African Scholars Program.
Participants in the program will enhance their academic skills, receive guidance on university admissions and career path options, and join a network of young leaders from across Africa.
Application Deadline: February 16th, 2021.
Open the Table of Content Below
Click to see section
Students admitted into the program will have access to the following:
- A seven-day intensive academic program.
- Pairing with mentors who will advise them throughout the university application process.
- Participation in the program without paying tuition fees.
To be eligible to apply to YYAS, applicants MUST fulfill all of the following requirements:
- Be at least 14 years old by application deadline (16 February 2021)
The typical YYAS student is between the ages of 15 and 18.
- Be able to participate in an academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country.
OR refugee living in an African country.
- Presently attend school in an African country.
- Must be a current 11th grade student (or the international equivalent).
- Must be graduating secondary school by latest May/June 2022 if he/she attends school in the Northern Hemisphere.
Must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2021 and no later than November/December 2022 if he/she attends school in the Southern Hemisphere.
- The program isn’t open to individuals-
- Currently in their final year or term of secondary school, have already graduated secondary school, or are a university student.
- That are YYAS or YYGS alumnus.
YYAS alumnus can apply to YYGS.
- younger than 14 years of age.
- Successful applicants have to attend all seven days of the program due to the intensive nature of each session.
Free Worksheet and Checklist
Here at Camberene, we go the extra mile to make sure you win. So we have designed a beautiful checklist to help you keep track of your progress and make sure you’re doing things correctly.
It’s 100% FREE
Hit the download button to get it in your inbox ASAP.
Before applying, click here for more information on Frequently Asked Questions.
- Submit the following three materials:
- Completed application form – to be found online and must be filled out by the applicant.
- Official transcript or grade report(s) – To be provided by the school and consist of the applicant’s list of courses and grades received.
The transcript or grade report(s) must be for each year of secondary school.
National exam scores, if available, should also be submitted but are not required. Students that have changed secondary schools at any point must include records both from their previous AND their current school.
Do not upload certificates or transcripts from primary school.
- One (1) teacher recommendation – The recommendation must be filled out via the Online Recommendation Form that will be sent to a teacher’s email after the student provides their contact details.
An email will be sent with a link to the Form and instructions on how to fill it out. The recommendation must be written and submitted by a teacher who knows the student well.
Recommendations from parents/guardians, siblings, relatives, family friends, and/or paid private tutors/counselors will NOT be accepted.
About the Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program
Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is an intensive academic program designed for African secondary school students planning to pursue tertiary education and also possess a desire to bring change to their society.
The YYAS scheme is an official program of Yale University.
The Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) program is a proud member of the HALI Access Network and has enjoyed support from The Whitney and Betty MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies at Yale and Higherlife Foundation.
YYAS was launched off its sister program, Yale Young Global Scholars, and continues to operate under its umbrella.
Key Dates and Order of Program
All applications, application components—including the teacher’s recommendation must be submitted no later than 11:59pm EST on 16 February 2021.
All applicants will receive an email with their admission decision by mid-April 2021.
YYAS reviews all applications holistically, and there are no minimum grade or standardized exam score requirements. However, a high level of English proficiency will be expected.
300-400 students are admitted per admissions cycle.
The YYAS 2021 will be a virtual program. YYAS will be hosting a seven-day virtual session using various digital platforms from 21st July to 28th July 2021.
YYAS will utilize a variety of online platforms before, during, and after the program. Admitted students will be given directions and information on how to access and use these platforms at the appropriate time.
Students will receive a Certificate of Completion at the end of the program.