Join the 6th Edition of Science by Women Program, and participate in a leading African women’s scientific research aimed at resolving the most pressing issues faced by Africa in health and biomedicine, sustainable agriculture and food security, water, energy, and climate change.
If you are selected, the program will grant you a modest living allowance, a fully-fund trip to Spain, and many more opportunities while working and networking in a community of African women researchers at the forefront of transforming Africa into a better economy.
Application Deadline: September 30, 2020
Open the Below
Click to see section
One opportunity can change your life, career, and income for good, forever!
Where Should I Send Your Daily Opportunities?
Women for Africa Foundation, in collaboration with the research centers, will provide selected candidates the following benefits:
- Return flight from their home country to the host institution
- Monthly Living allowance of 2,400 to cover accommodation, personal expense, and medical insurance.
- Assistance with the mandatory procedures required to obtain the visa with Spanish Embassies and Consulates.
To qualify for the program,
- The applicant must be a woman
- The applicant must be a national of an African country
- She must hold a Ph.D. with at least 3 years of postdoctoral experience
- She must have a contractual relationship with a university or a public or private non-profit organization based in Africa dedicated to significant scientific research in the areas indicated
- She must have an excellent academic record and proven track record of relevant research experience
- The applicant must be proficient in English
- The applicant must have proven experience leading a research group
- Only for this 6th edition and in consideration of the exceptional circumstances due to COVID-19, African nationals with temporary residence in Europe can be eligible.
- Recipients of past fellowships are not eligible.
- The recipients of the visiting research fellowships agree to adhere to the internal academic and legal regulations of the host research center.
- The award of fellowships does not generate any statutory or labor relation with FMxA, and candidates commit themselves to return to their places of origin in Africa on completion of their research stay.
- Fellowship recipients are obliged to submit a final report containing the results of their research projects as well as propositions to deepen collaboration between the host center and the one of origin within 2 months of completion of their research stay to the Women for Africa Foundation.
- Recipients of the fellowship are strongly discouraged from bringing their families with them to the program, since there’s no sort of arrangement made for families and to ensure the fellow’s full concentration.
- Recipients must devote themselves entirely to research at the assigned research center and may not be beneficiaries of any other fellowship, grant, stipend or regular income during their research stay.
- Beneficiaries might be asked to formalize their relationship with the research center in writing.
- In compliance with the local laws, the Woman for Africa Foundation or the research center (as the case may be) will, if so required in each particular circumstance by the tax and/or social security regime, retain or withhold the compulsory amounts from the living allowances.
- Candidates must have already identified the Principal Investigator in the prospective host center to confirm that the research proposal can be carried out in collaboration with those research groups and their laboratories.
Free Worksheet and Checklist
Here at Camberene, we go the extra mile to make sure you win. So we have designed a beautiful checklist to help you keep track of your progress and make sure you’re doing things correctly.
It’s 100% FREE
Hit the download button to get it in your inbox ASAP.
- Read the application guidelines carefully here
- Attach and submit the following documents:
- Letter of Interest (not to exceed 1 page)
- Updated curriculum vitae (Europass format is recommended)
- Completed form
- Passport or NID
- Ph.D. Diploma
- Research proposal (Brief and clear description of the project to be developed in the Spanish host center (not to exceed 2 pages)
(Check here for requirements of what’s to be developed for individual centers)
- Only applications submitted in English will be considered. Click here to apply.
About the Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA) Science by Women Program
The Women for Africa Foundation launched the Science by Women Program to support and enable African women researchers to carry out a frontline role in the transition of Africa to a knowledge-based and innovation-led economy through research that can be transferred into products, processes, services, and technologies having impact on lives.
The low representation of women in science and technology in both the public and private sector affect Africa as a whole. Correcting this gap, which has severe consequences on the balanced and sustainable development of African countries, is essential to achieve long-term progress and shared prosperity.
Hence the initiative to grant ambitious and qualified African women researchers and scientists the tools to tackle the great challenges faced by Africa through research in health and biomedicine, sustainable agriculture and food security, water, energy and climate change.
This year’s edition is the 6th edition of the Program.
Key Dates and Order of Program
The deadline for applications is September 30, 2020.
The duration of the research stays will be 6 months.
Although subject to personal and professional needs, and with approval of the host research center, the planned research may be split in two stays within two years after the fellowship has been Awarded.
Results will be published by November 20, 2020
Selected candidates are expected to start their research projects at the assigned host institutions not earlier than February 2021, (depending on the state of affairs and restrictions regarding the pandemic)
All submissions will be evaluated by a merit-based selection process by the Women for Africa Foundation’s Scientific Committee for a highly-competitive program.
Take note of the following criteria as the jury will evaluate applications based on them:
- The candidate’s research career, curriculum vitae and experience as an independent research group leader.
- The project’s scientific-technical quality and innovative potential.
- The expected and measurable economic or social impact of the research project.
- The candidate’s plan to communicate and disseminate the project’s results.
- The proper consideration of ethical issues where appropriate.
The 2020 Women for Africa Foundation(FMxA) Science by Women Program edition will be held in Spanish centers.
Networking and Partnership Opportunities
The Women for Africa Foundation is supported by excellent Spanish Centres, that share its goals and objectives of ensuring excellence in scientific research in various fields.
The program partners with research institutes such as the Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO), that specializes in the science and technology of harnessing light as a pervasive and universal tool that benefits health, energy, information as well as safety, security, and environment.
The program also partners with Vall d´Hebron Institut de Recerca (VHIR) a public-sector institution that promotes and develops research, innovation and biosanitary teaching.
In this 6th edition of the FMxA, the partnering centers are:
- Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO)
- Vall d´Hebron Institut de Recerca (VHIR)
- Institute for Neuroscience (IN)
- Kronikgune Research Center
- Biocruces Bizkaia
- Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO)
- Institute of Health Carlos III (ISCIII)
- Donostia International Physics Center
- Spanish National Center of Biotechnology (CNB)
- Institute of Mathematical Sciences (ICMAT)
- Centre for Genomics Regulation (CGR)
- Barcelona Graduate School of Economics (BGSE)
- Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias (IAC)
- Oceanic Platform of the Canary Islands (PLOCAN)
- Biomedical and Health Research Institute at the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (ULPGC)
- The Basque Center for Applied Mathematics – BCAM
- Basque Center for Macromolecular Design and Engineering POLYMAT Fundazioa
- Materials Physics Center (MPC-CFM)
These centers will host all 19 selected women researchers. Each of these centers will host 1 senior woman researcher with at least 3 years of post-doctoral experience for a six-month fellowship.
The preferred areas of research include:
- Health and Bio-medicine
- Energy, Water and Climate Change
- Sustainable Agriculture and Food Safety
Mathematics, information, and communication technologies, as well as physics, astrophysics, and materials physics and all STEM disciplines, are instrumental to research in the above areas.