Apply for the Wiki loves Africa Competition, contribute your media creativity, and stand a chance to win up to $2,000 and also the opportunity of having your media being used on Wikipedia and other project websites of the Wikimedia Foundation.
Application Deadline: April 15 2021
Open the Table of Content Below
Click to see section
One opportunity can change your life, career, and income for good, forever!
Where Should I Send Your Daily Opportunities?
The international prizes are:
- 1st prize: US$1000
- 2nd prize: US$800
- 3rd prize: US$500
Additional categories are:
- Culturally specific or traditional representations of health or wellness : US$500
- Prize for best quality video (audio and visual quality and storytelling will be taken into account): US$500
- (Disclaimer: Prizes to be dispersed in a gift card or voucher format.)
- Each winner will also receive a pack of goodies (proposed: a hat “I edit Wikipedia from Africa”, a branded battery, stickers)
- All photos must be taken by the person submitting them. Unless, they are uploaded during a registered mass upload session. Your image must have your name, username or nom de plume on the uploaded file.
- Entries will only be accepted if uploaded between the 15th February to 15th April 2021. You can enter media that was taken at any time, even historic photographs (as long as you own the copyright on these photographs or they are in the public domain), but they must be uploaded during those dates. Photographs that are already on Commons and re-uploaded are not eligible.
- Participants must be registered on Wikimedia Commons and be contactable. Please enable e-mail on Wikimedia Commons when registering so we can contact you if your image is chosen for a prize.
- All entries submitted to the contest must be under a free licence (or in the public domain). In most cases, the photo will automatically be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 (CC-BY-SA 4.0). Read more about the cc-by-sa license here.
- Images with watermarks or embedded signatures will not be eligible.
- Pictures or media must be categorised under Images from Wiki Loves Africa 2021 to be eligible.
- To be considered for the video prize, the file must be uploaded in a video format (.ogg, .ogv, or .webm) that is accepted on Wikimedia Commons. Please note that the audio and visual quality and storytelling will be taken into account for your file to be eligible for a prize.
- Photographs that are already on Commons (this means re-uploading is not allowed).
- As the images will be hosted on Wikimedia Commons, all entries must fall within Commons scope. Any that do not will be disqualified and may be deleted without notice.
- Images with watermarks, timestamps or image credits on the picture itself or any other kind of editing which associates the image with the uploader are not eligible.
Free Worksheet and Checklist
Here at Camberene, we go the extra mile to make sure you win. So we have designed a beautiful checklist to help you keep track of your progress and make sure you’re doing things correctly.
It’s 100% FREE
Hit the download button to get it in your inbox ASAP.
How to enter
- Take photos related to the theme Health + Wellness
- Create a free account or log in on Wikimedia Commons
- Upload your photos
About the Wiki loves Africa Competition
Wiki Loves Africa is an annual contest where anyone across Africa can contribute media that relates to that year’s theme to Wikimedia Commons for use on Wikipedia and other project websites of the Wikimedia Foundation. Wiki Loves Africa encourages participants to contribute media (photographs, video and audio) that illustrate the specific theme for that year. Each year the theme changes. Each year’s theme is chosen by the community to be a universal, visually-rich and culturally-specific topics (for example, markets, rites of passage, festivals, public art, cuisine, natural history, urbanity, daily life, notable persons, etc).
Key Dates and Order of Program
The 2021 competition starts on 15th February 2021 and closes on 15th of April 2021
The judging will be done by a panel of international Wikipedians, professional photographers and subject specialists, based on thumb rules of photography as well as the community standards.
A good photo has a good story to tell.
A good photo removes all unnecessary distractions from the chief element, so that the latter is not out of the focus.
Potential usefulness and overall value of the image (including its licensing) to the Wikimedia projects.
Technical quality – Image parameters such as focus, lighting, saturation, ISO etc. will be taken into consideration.
The jury will judge individual entries based on the following criteria:
- Technical quality
- Potential usefulness and overall value of the image (including its licensing) to the Wikimedia projects.