Are you an artist? Then you should apply for the Wells Art Contemporary Awards.
Wells Art Contemporary welcomes submissions from artists over the age of 18 working in any medium. In conjunction with Wells Art Contemporary (WAC) and Project Factory CIC, Wells Cathedral is collaborating with Antony Gormley to produce a new work that will be exhibited on the West Front of the Cathedral. The piece will be loaned by the Artist and on display from the end of August 2021, coinciding with the opening of Wells Art Contemporary.
Application Deadline: 25th May 2021
Open the Table of Content Below
Click to see section
Selected artists will have their work shown in the iconic Wells Cathedral as well as in a dedicated virtual gallery on the Wells Art Contemporary website.
Howden Art Award: £2,000 awarded to one artist
NG Art Creative Residency: The Prize Winner will receive a free two-week placement at the NG Art Creative Residency in Eygalieres, Provence. This includes board and lodging, studio space, mentorship and residency-related outings.
JGM Gallery Prize: The winner of the JGM Gallery Prize will be featured on the gallery’s own website and social media channels. A selection of the winner’s works will be on display and for sale on the gallery website and promoted across their social media – including an artist interview to be posted on their Youtube channel.
The Grace Student Awards: Awarded by Tracey Grace, three shortlisted students will receive £100 each. Many thanks to our prize giver Tracey Grace for the free entries to the first 100 Students and the student prizes.
Parker Harris Mentoring Prize: Parker Harris will give a one-to-one mentoring session covering all aspects of professional development to a selected artist.
People’s Choice Prize: £500 will be awarded to the artist who received the most public votes.
A full list of prices will be announced shortly.
The opportunity is open to :
- All artists based in the UK or internationally.
- Applicants who are over the age of 18 on the 1st January 2021.
- A third party may also submit work on the artists behalf with the full permission of the artist.
Free Worksheet and Checklist
Here at Camberene, we go the extra mile to make sure you win. So we have designed a beautiful checklist to help you keep track of your progress and make sure you’re doing things correctly.
It’s 100% FREE
Hit the download button to get it in your inbox ASAP.
Entry is by online submission through this website
If you are submitting an installation proposal please read all the entry information before entering. You can find images of past installations, a map of the installation sites and the Cathedral’s health and safety guidelines here. Please download and read these before applying.
- Artists may enter up to four works. Artists can use the online entry form on this site to enter any work, including an installation proposal.
- Entries can be any medium – painting, sculpture, drawing, printmaking, photography, installation or video.
- Unless you are submitting an installation proposal works should be no more than 2.5m high and 3.5m wide. There is no size restriction for installations.
- To complete your application you will need to enter:
- An image of your work (no more than 1MB)
- The title, medium, dimensions and price (please take into account WAC’s commission of 40%) of your work
- If you are submitting an installation proposal there is additional information you need to enter. Please click here to read all entry information before applying.
Entry Fee is £15 per work or £12 per work for current students.
Discounted Entry For The First 100 Students
If you are a student, you can use the code WAC21student at checkout to enter one work for free. The first 90 students to enter will receive this discount.
And if you are a student living or studying in Somerset, please use the code WAC21somersetstudent. There are 10 more free entry slots specifically for Somerset students, so the first 10 to submit a work can do so for free.
About the Wells Art Contemporary Awards
WAC Awards is an open competition for contemporary visual art that is gaining praise and respect in Britain and abroad. It was established in 2012 by a group of artists and their friends in Wells, the beautiful cathedral city in the South-West of England.
Key Dates and Order of Program
- The deadline for entry: 25 May 2021
- Artists notified of judges decision: 25 June 2021
- Deadline for selected artists to confirm selected work information and provide a high res image and work statement: 5 July 2021
- Virtual Exhibition open: 2 August – 26 September
- Private View at Wells Cathedral: 27 August 2021
- Exhibition open at Wells Cathedral: 28 August – 26 September 2021
The exhibition will open at the iconic Wells Cathedral and will also be shown in a dedicated online gallery.