Apply now for a chance to be selected as a Senior Gender Justice and Development Consultant working for and with United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) to achieve equity and social justice in development policy and practice.
With benefits like health insurance, join a small focused team of individuals committed to identifying urgent areas of concern in modern development issues and seeking to ensure that social equity, inclusion, and justice are entrenched in fundamental aspects of the society.
Submit your application to secure an opportunity to become part of high-quality research on gender equality and social development.
Application Deadline: July 12, 2020
Open the Below
Click to see section
One opportunity can change your life, career, and income for good, forever!
Where Should I Send Your Daily Opportunities?
Dependent on the attached UNRISD Terms and Conditions, the selected candidate will receive:
- A full-time position with a requested starting date of September 2020.
- Flexibility in location to suit the candidate(although physical appearance at the Institute’s offices at the United Nations in Geneva are also required)
- The salary will be tailored to the basis of experience and location.
- Duration of a trial period of six months with the possibility of extension.
- The Senior Gender Justice and Development Consultant will be hired by the United Nations Office at Geneva as a Consultant/Individual Contractor,
who is responsible for ensuring compliance with all relevant tax obligations, social insurance contributions, and appropriate medical and accident insurance coverage for the full duration of employment.
- UNRISD will fund the cost of one return ticket if the selected candidate is not residing in Geneva
Applicants must have the following qualifications to be considered for the position:
- A Master’s Degree in the social sciences, with a focus on gender and development. A Ph.D. is strongly preferred.
- A minimum of eight years of experience in development research at an academic or research institution.
- Prior publication record in the field of gender equality, human rights and social development, and expertise in at least one of the priority areas for program development (indicated under functions, above)
- Research experience in countries in the global South.
- Experience in fundraising for social development research projects, project management, and team supervision (including on-location and remote members).
- Must be fluent in oral and written English with evidenced editing skills; knowledge of additional UN languages is an asset
Candidates vying for the position are required to be competent in the following capacities:
- Professionalism: Candidates must be capable of professional competence as a researcher in the field of gender justice, human rights, and social development.
- Communication: Candidates for the position must possess sterling oral communication and writing skills.
- Teamwork: candidates must be capable of working well with the team to achieve set goals
- Leadership: Takes intellectual leadership in substantive areas of work and demonstrates good management skills.
- Judgment/Decision-Making: Identifies critical issues for research relevant to the work of the UN; develops appropriate research methods and analyses data, drawing policy recommendations aligned with the norms and objectives of the United Nations
Duties and Functions of a Senior Gender Justice and Development Consultant
Under the general supervision of the Director of UNRISD, the Senior Gender Justice and Development Consultant will be responsible for the following activities:
- Conceptualizing, developing, and managing the Institute’s research program in the area of Gender Justice and Development, ensuring its integration within the UNRISD Institutional Strategy and research agenda.
- Within this program, create a portfolio of research and activities in three priority areas:
- feminist perspectives on climate change;
- gender, technologies and digital economies; and
- anti-genderism and global governance.
- Identify and promote options that could have wider benefits across the UN system in all activities and research.
- Identify research partners, organize meetings and conferences; supervise staff and consultants involved in research and activities; and ensure the quality of outputs produced.
- Produce high-quality publications, including articles in peer-reviewed journals and edited volumes, policy briefs, and other outputs for a range of audiences.
- Take the lead in mobilizing resources for the research program, and contribute to the fundraising activities of the Institute.
- Contribute to Institute-wide flagship publications, research programs, and special activities.
- Build and maintain regular contacts within the United Nations system, governments, multilateral donors and the international research community.
- Act as the focal point for UNRISD in its engagement with the UN system on gender-related issues.
- Provide policy advice and technical assistance, based on UNRISD research, to United Nations departments and agencies, national and local policymakers, civil society organizations, academics, or other institutions.
- Represent UNRISD in international meetings and academic conferences.
- Periodically report on progress to the Director, the UNRISD Board, and donors.
- Carry out other activities as agreed within the Institute or assigned by the Director.
Free Worksheet and Checklist
Here at Camberene, we go the extra mile to make sure you win. So we have designed a beautiful checklist to help you keep track of your progress and make sure you’re doing things correctly.
It’s 100% FREE
Hit the download button to get it in your inbox ASAP.
Applicants who fulfill the criteria and are interested in the consultancy position should:
- Ensure that the “Cover Letter” section of their application includes a detailed description of their motivation and skills.
Click here to apply
About the United Nations Research Institute for Social Development
Established in 1963, the United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) is an independent research institute within the UN organization that undertakes interdisciplinary research and policy analysis on the social dimensions of contemporary development issues.
The institute focuses on the often neglected social content and impacts of development processes. It engages researchers, policymakers, and civil society actors from around the world in generating and sharing knowledge, in order to shape policy within and beyond the UN system.
UNRISD provides a space for the exchange of ideas, giving prominence to marginalized viewpoints, often challenging mainstream development thinking, and offering alternative policy options.
The Gender Justice and Development Programme takes a critical, feminist, and institutional approach, exploring the underlying structures of gendered outcomes, and how to make them more equal.
Key Dates and Order of Program
The deadline for application submissions is 11:59 pm(Central European Time), Sunday 12 July 2020.
The selected candidate would be requested to resume the position by September 2020
The institute encourages personnel diversity hence all individuals are equally encouraged to apply but will be reviewed based on work skills set, experience, and level of expertise.
As a result of limited human resources, only selected candidates will be contacted.
Short-listed applicants will be asked to submit relevant publications and carry out a written assignment before being notified if they have been selected for an interview.