Apply for the Laskaridis PhD fellowship in modern Greek studies 2021, and have an opportunity to study in Greece with your PhD degree expenses fully taken care of, alonh with monthly stipends for you, all in Greece.
Application Deadline: April 15, 2021
Open the Table of Content Below
Click to see section
One opportunity can change your life, career, and income for good, forever!
Where Should I Send Your Daily Opportunities?
- The fellowship offers a stipend of €1.200 per month (with a total of €43.200 for the period of three years) by the Laskaridis Foundation with the purpose of covering accommodation, research-related travel, and other living expenses during the period of the doctoral research. The candidate’s progress is evaluated at the end of each year by the supervisors and research school:upon a positive evaluation, the fellowship is renewed for the next year.
The selected applicant will pursue his/her doctoral research in English in the Faculty of Humanities, under the supervision of the Marilena Laskaridis Chair of Modern Greek Studies at the University of Amsterdam.
To be considered eligible for this fellowship, the following criteria apply:
- A Master’s (or equivalent) degree with distinction in a field relevant to the proposed PhD project. The Master’s degree should be granted with a GPA of at least 8/10 (for Greek and Dutch universities) or the equivalent thereof for other universities.
Candidates may apply if they have not yet completed their Master’s degree only if they provide a signed letter from their MA thesis supervisor or their university’s administration stating that they will graduate before 1 September 2021.
- Excellent command of English.
- Excellent research skills.
- Full application documents submitted by the provided deadline (April 15, 2021), including a research proposal within one of the fields or themes listed below (“about the fellowship”)
- Applicants cannot already be enrolled or employed as Ph.D. candidates at the University of Amsterdam or elsewhere.
Free Worksheet and Checklist
Here at Camberene, we go the extra mile to make sure you win. So we have designed a beautiful checklist to help you keep track of your progress and make sure you’re doing things correctly.
It’s 100% FREE
Hit the download button to get it in your inbox ASAP.
Applicants are requested to submit the following documents by 15 April 2021:
- A research proposal of max. 1500 words (excluding bibliography) with the following sections: a) summary of the proposed project b) outline of the main issue/problem/question and the project’s objectives c) methodology d) objects of research e) time-frame for the proposed project.
- A motivation letter(max. 300 words) laying out the reasons for wishing to conduct Ph.D. research and for pursuing this project at the University of Amsterdam.
- A Curriculum Vitae that lists (at least) the following information:
- – Full address and contact details
- – Previous education
- – Professional information (previous university or relevant employment, if applicable)
- – Grants/honors
- – Conference presentations and publications, if applicable
- – Language proficiency
- Copies of Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees and academic transcripts. At this stage, a certified document is not yet necessary. If these documents are originally in Greek they need not be translated into English. In case the Master’s degree has not yet been completed by the application deadline, the applicant is required to submit a copy of the academic transcripts and a signed letter from their MA thesis supervisor or their university’s administration stating that they will graduate before 1 September 2021.
- Copy of certificate of proficiency in English. The following tests and certificates are accepted (NB: IELTS and TOEFL results should not be older than 2 years from the date of submission):
- Cambridge CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English)
- Cambridge CAE (Certificate of Advanced English): minimum score 190
- IELTS Academic: minimum scores: 7 overall, minimum 6.5 on each sub-score
- TOEFL iBT: minimum overall score: 95
ΝΒ: Applicants with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from a university program held in English are exempted from the requirement for an English language certificate.
- 1 letter of reference sent directly by the referent to the following email address:
email@example.com Indication of the applicant’s full name must be included in the email subject line. The letter of reference should NOT be submitted by the applicant.
- A writing sample in English, such as a paper or chapter of a Master’s thesis, up to 5,000 words.
The research proposal, CV, and motivation letter should all be in English. The letter of reference, to be sent by the referent directly to the same email address, may be written either in English or in Greek.
Please collect these documents and submit your full application as one PDF file, using your surname followed by your initials as the file name. Applications that are incomplete or late will not be taken into consideration. Applications should be sent to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Laskaridis PhD. Fellowship
The Aikaterini Laskaridis Foundation is a public benefit cultural institution established in Spring 2007 by Panagiotis Laskaridis and Marilena Laskaridis. Purpose of the Foundation is the promotion – in Greece and abroad – of Greek culture and especially Greek letters and historical and nautical research. As an active and vibrant cultural, educational organization, the Foundation organizes and executes a large number of educational and cultural programs each year, as well as events, lectures and conferences in many areas of literature and culture in general, with the participation of distinguished members of the Academic and University community from Greece and abroad. Since January 2018, the Foundation is the main sponsor of the Marilena Laskaridis Chair in Modern Greek Studies at the University of Amsterdam.
Key Dates and Order of Program
The duration of the fellowship is three (3) years (36 months). The starting date of the fellowship can be between 1 September and 31 December 2021 (to be determined in consultation with the selected candidate)
Deadline for application is April 15th 2021
Complete applications that meet all the formal criteria will be reviewed by an interdisciplinary scientific committee comprising members from the Foundation, the University of Amsterdam, and another, external university.
Applications will be evaluated based on:
– The scientific quality and innovative character of the proposed research project
– The quality of the applicant’s CV and academic record
– Motivation for wishing to conduct the proposed project at the University of Amsterdam and match of the project with listed topics and fields (see above) in the context of the Marilena Laskaridis Chair.
The PhD fellowship programs would take place at the University of Amsterdam.