Are you an independently owned and operated start up that has been in operation for at least 6 months?
Then apply for the Google News Initiative (GNI) Startups Lab Europe 2021 for a chance to have access to a grant of up to €25,000 as well as workshops, coaching and good networking opportunities.
Application Deadline: September 20 2021
You will benefit from Media Lab’s experience in supporting media startups and from EJC’s extensive European network and active community:
You are welcome to apply if you
* Are based in one of the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Montenegro, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom
* Are independently owned and operated
* Produce original content that is primarily available on a digital platform(s)
* Have been operating for at least six months
* Earn less than € 500,000 per year in gross revenue
* Can demonstrate some successes on the path to sustainability. Examples include increased site visits, a growing membership programme or increased earned revenue.
Applicants must focus on one or more of the following:
* Public interest journalism
* Filling an information gap
* Serving a geographic-bound or single subject community
* Serving an underserved community
* Exploring new ways to deliver and/or monetize information
We are especially interested in entrepreneurs who want to serve communities that don’t often see themselves or their stories reflected in their local news.
Here at Camberene, we go the extra mile to make sure you win. So we have designed a beautiful checklist to help you keep track of your progress and make sure you’re doing things correctly.
It’s 100% FREE
Hit the download button to get it in your inbox ASAP.
All Applicants are required to fill out our application form. You can find the application form here.
Of all applicants, 20 teams will be invited to participate in our Trial Run, a multi-day remote
event taking place sometime between 18 October, 2021 and 24 October, 2021 (exact dates tba).
The Trial Run ends with a remote Pitch Day, after which up to ten startups will be chosen to enter
the GNI Startups Lab Europe
The GNI Startups Lab Europe aims to help journalistic startups better understand their audiences, create higher quality content (text, audio and/or video) and navigate the pitfalls of monetization. At the end of the program, you will have improved your capabilities to sustainably provide your audience with high quality journalism.
Applications close on 20 September, 2021 – 11:59 PM CEST.
Trial Run: Oct. 18-24, 2021 exact dates tba.
Startup School: Nov. 8 – 19, 2021
Program launch for all Participants
First Pitch Day: Dec. 17, 2021
End of Phase I
Second Pitch Day: Mar 4, 2021
End of Phase II
Demo Day: Mar 2021
ACCEPTANCE: We’ll select 20 applicants from the initial pool, who will be invited to Trial Run, an audit workshop scheduled for the week 18-24 October, 2021. Trial Run will close with a Pitch Day and the final selection of 10 teams max. who will be part of the GNI Startups Lab for Europe.
Opt-out at any time. No strings attached.