Sign up for the Catto combined MSc and PhD fully funded scholarships at the Center of African Studies, University of Edinburgh for courses in Africa and international development and African Studies respectively, and be among the lucky few to enjoy free education while getting a combined package of MSc and PhD degrees.
The scholarship offers African graduates without sufficient research experience for a PhD, an opportunity to get that grounding with an MSc before embarking on the Phd. The MSc year helps build a bridge between undergraduate studies and the PhD.
Application Deadline: March 30 2021
Open the Table of Content Below
Click to see section
The scholarship includes:
- A fully funded, tuition free MSc and PhD education.
- Monthly maintenance stipend throughout the one-year MSc and subsequent three years of PhD study.
To qualify for consideration in the scholarships, Applicants must have:
- An excellent undergraduate degree (minimum of a high 2.1) in the social sciences from an accredited university in Africa (a Masters degree achieved with distinction will be an advantage).
- Be a citizen of, and be normally domiciled in, an African country
- Not have previously received a degree from a university outside Africa
- Demonstrate commitment to studying for a PhD in African Studies
- Demonstrate leadership potential and intention to maximize the impact of their research.
- Have received an offer to study for the MSc in Africa and International Development and/or the PhD in African Studies at the University of Edinburgh. Preference will be given to those studying conflict resolution, elections, technology, peace building and/or governance in African contexts, although the selection panel may consider other areas in the field of politics and international development.
Free Worksheet and Checklist
Here at Camberene, we go the extra mile to make sure you win. So we have designed a beautiful checklist to help you keep track of your progress and make sure you’re doing things correctly.
It’s 100% FREE
Hit the download button to get it in your inbox ASAP.
- If you are interested and meet all of the above, please send:
- A summary of your research proposal (maximum 2 pages)
- A cover letter indicating your motivations, leadership experience and future plans (maximum 1 page)
- An academic CV, clearly showing class of degree and previous educational achievements (maximum 2 pages)
- 1 letter of reference
- Applications must be submitted in a single pdf document on or before 12: Noon GMT on March 30th, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must use the subject line CATTO SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
About the Catto Combined Scholarships
The Center for African Studies Scholarships were made possible through generous funding from the Stephen Gordon Catto Charitable Trust. They have been designed as a combined package in order to enable those who may not feel they have sufficient research experience to embark on a PhD to get that grounding with an MSc.
A key goal of the scholarships is to diversify the scholars from the African continent who contribute original and important research to African Studies.
Key Dates and Order of Program
Successful applicants would start their studies in the month of September 2021
The application closes on the 30th of March 2021.
The selection panel would give preference to those studying conflict resolution, elections, technology, peace building and/or governance in African contexts. They may also consider other areas in the field of politics and international development.
The scholarship would run for a period of 4 years at the Center for African Studies, University of Edinburgh.