If you are a national of a developing member country of the Asian Development Bank, apply for the ADB-JSP Scholarship Program for an opportunity to receive a full tuition scholarship for your Master’s degree study in an ADB-JSP approved field of study at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (UHM).
Selected scholarship awardees will receive world class training at the University, which they will then put to use in their communities to promote socio-economic development.
Application Deadline: December 1, 2020.
Open the Table of Content Below
Click to see section
For each successful applicant, the scheme will provide:
- Full tuition fees.
- A monthly allowance for expenses, housing, books and instructional materials, medical insurance and travel.
- A special grant for thesis production, in cases of scholars engaged in research.
- In special circumstances, computer literacy, preparatory language and other similar courses may be covered.
The ADB-JSP requires that applicants satisfy the following criteria to be eligible for the ADB-JSP scholarship at the East-West Center. At the time of application, applicants must:
- Be a citizen and current resident of a developing member country of the Asian Development Bank.
- Be no more than 35 years old.
- Have a 4-year bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
An equivalent could be a 3-year Bachelor’s degree plus a 1-year Master’s degree, or a 2-year bachelor’s degree plus a 2-year Master’s degree. This is subject to review.
- Have a minimum of 2 years of full-time professional work experience after a university degree.
- Take one of the English proficiency tests:
- the minimum acceptable scores are 550 for the paper-based TOEFL;
- 213 for the computer-based TOEFL;
- and 79-80 for the internet-based TOEFL iBT; or 6.5 for the IELTS.
Results must be taken from a test within the past two years.
- Applicants with the following status are not eligible for the ADB-JSP Scholarship:
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his/her home country.
- Applicants who have previously studied abroad, or who are seeking a second master’s degree.
- The following are eligible Master’s degree programs that are funded by ADB-JSP in the ADB-JSP Scholarship program at the East-West Center.
Standardized examinations that are required of applicants are listed next to each program along with the requesting institution in parentheses.
- Business Administration (Global MBA): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM); GMAT (UHM only)
- Economics (MA): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM); GRE (UHM only)
- Geography (MA): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM); GRE (UHM only)
- Natural Resources and Environmental Management (MS): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM); GRE (UHM only)
- Ocean and Resources Engineering (MS): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM); GRE (UHM only)
- Oceanography (MS): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM); GRE (UHM only)
- Pacific Islands Studies (MA): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM)
- Public Administration (MPA): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM)
- Sociology (MA): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM); GRE (UHM only)
- Tropical Plant and Soil Sciences (MS): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM); GRE (UHM only)
- Urban and Regional Planning (MURP): TOEFL or IELTS (EWC and UHM)
- On completion of studies, scholars will be expected to return to their home countries to put their new knowledge and skills to use.
Free Worksheet and Checklist
Here at Camberene, we go the extra mile to make sure you win. So we have designed a beautiful checklist to help you keep track of your progress and make sure you’re doing things correctly.
It’s 100% FREE
Hit the download button to get it in your inbox ASAP.
Follow the instructions in the foregoing to apply for the ADB-JSP Scholarship program –
- Read the Frequently asked questions to learn more about the program.
- In addition to submitting an ADB-JSP scholarship application to the East-West Center, a separate application (including all required supporting documents) must be submitted to the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa for admission into a Master’s degree program.
- Check the UHM Graduate Division for information on applying for most eligible Master’s programs.
- If seeking admission to a Master’s program in the field of Business, use the Global MBA Business Program only.
- Obtain application forms for each field from the respective program.
- Download the application form.
- Click here to apply.
About the Asian Development Bank - Japan Scholarship Program
The Asian Development Bank – Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP) provides financial support for Master’s degree study in ADB-JSP approved fields of study at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (UHM), and leadership development programs at the East-West Center (EWC).
The ADB-JSP is a scholarship program that was established to strengthen human resource capacity in Asian Development Bank developing member countries.